I’ve been on a fascinating adventure today. It started with an email from a friend urging me to support Google in their January 12 declaration about reviewing their business operations in China. Google had discovered huge security breaches of Chinese origin on their computers, tied to surveillance of Chinese human rights activists. In Google’s post. A New Approach to China:
These attacks and the surveillance they have uncovered–combined with the attempts over the past year to further limit free speech on the web–have led us to conclude that we should review the feasibility of our business operations in China. We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.
Google has been operating in China since January 2006, submitting to censorship requirements from the Chinese government. Google could lose $600 million in revenue per year by leaving the Chinese market.
When a story really peaks my interest I like to look at the astrological charts involved to see if there is more to the story.
Google’s date of incorporation is a matter of public record and easily available on the web. The inception of the Peoples Republic of China (PRC) is also available. So I constructed both charts in my astrology software, Solar Fire.
How do they really get along?
Just for fun I ran a synastry analysis between Google and PRC and this is when it really got interesting. Synastry compares two horoscopes and outlines the strengths and weaknesses in a relationship based on the positions of the planets and how well the charts interrelate with each other.
Below are excerpts from the report from Solar Fire. They are really revealing about Google and PRC, and as you read, think about whether you think there will truly be a split between them. I have edited some of the statements to take out text that doesn’t apply to the business realm. Other than my edits, these comments come straight from the program.
- This combination indicates that Google and PRC both view thier association seriously and are committed to it.
- As the relationship develops PRC feels threatened by the force of Google’s presence and takes a superior attitude in defense. As a result Google feels threatened, disliking the authoritarian side of PRC.
- It is vital that both Google and PRC work at developing a stable basis for communication and understanding in this relationship.
Google’s Mars is sextile PRC’s Sun
- This combination is a positive one for a working partnership that calls for concentrated effort on a joint project.
- There’s never a dull moment; they love and fight with energy. They are hard working and energetic, achieving more together than they can on their own.
- PRC feels that Google provides the impetus and drive to help PRC achieve its full potential.
- Google is excited by PRC’s power and is inspired in its ambitions.
- An ideal combination for a rewarding relationship.
- Together they enjoy good fortune.
- PRC is enchanted by Google’s knowledge, experiencing a sense of being led into new and exciting territory.
Google’s Jupiter is sextile PRC’s Jupiter
- A bountiful relationship, shining good fortune.
- PRC and Google share common goals and the impetus to explore these goals together, including adventures into other lands.
Google’s Saturn is square PRC’s Moon
- Both can suffer from discontent and insecurity within this union.
- Google may feel that its attempts at diplomacy are misunderstood and met with over-reaction from PRC.
- Much work needs to be done to understand each other.
- Both are committed to resolve difficulties; therefore there is a strong possibility of staying in this relationship on a long-term basis and reap the rewards of a stable and secure union.
Google’s Uranus is trine PRC’s Sun
- The relationship brings something new and original to PRC and Google.
- The relationship may run a somewhat erratic or unorthodox course.
- Google helps PRC see life in a new and different manner, freeing PRC from past inhibitions.
- Together PRC and Google may explore something unusual, such as new technology, metaphysics, science, electronics, and humanitarian or environmental concerns.
Google’s Pluto is sextile PRC’s Sun
- A relationship which is life-changing; it is as if they are both compelled to relate.
- Power and wealth may result from this relationship.
- They may become embroiled in a struggle for dominance, resembling a battleground from which neither emerges triumphant.
- They can be either intensely loyal friends or formidable opponents.
- Google is a powerful force in this union.
Googles’ Pluto is sextile PRC’s Moon
- PRC is likely to feel transformed by Google.
- It’s possible that Google has changed the way PRC feels about the world, making the country conscious of things that have been bubbling under the surface for a long time.
- Life is not the same for PRC once it encounters Google.
- This is indeed a passionate union.
Don’t you love it?
So, what do you think? Will there be a divorce? I would say no; there are too many benefits to both parties and strong Saturn connections that lead to permanence. It depends on how they handle this juncture, though. If they let it devolve into a battleground, they can be “formidable opponents”. It will be intriguing to watch this unfold over the next few months.