Jupiter, the planet of enthusiasm, expansion, treaties, politics, and law, will end its long sojourn in Pisces on Saturday and enter the sign Aries. Let’s take a look at Jupiter in Aries and discover how best to use the next five months to capitalize on the opportunities it will surely bring.
As I was listening to NPR this morning I heard a story about how American Airlines is withdrawing from its participation in sites such as Orbitz and Expedia. Since Jupiter rules the airline industry and all things related to travel my ears perked up.
American Airlines and Jupiter in Aries
The story strikes me as a perfect example of Jupiter moving from Pisces into Aries. Pisces is a sign that favors unification and lack of differentiation; Aries is a sign that singles out the aggressive, warrior spirit. American Airlines specifically cited that their reason to differentiate their product was to show the public what is unique about their company. They no longer want to be viewed as one more flying bus, but as a boutique service that grants their customers access to various exclusive options. These unique options are not apparent when customers use middleman sites like Orbitz.
American Airlines said they want to connect directly to the customer rather than through another entity. This move is expected to foreshadow a much more fragmented industry, with each player eventually withdrawing from the consolidated sites and approaching customers more directly.
Does this sound like Jupiter in Aries? You bet. This short story demonstrates some of the key features of Jupiter in Aries for business:
- Consolidated efforts characterized Jupiter in Pisces. In Aries, opportunities will be one-on-one; may the best person win!
- There will be increasing product differentiation. Businesses with unique or instant qualities will garner opportunities. Stressing similarities was oh, so, Pisces.
- Customers will expect individual contact rather than being treated as a herd.
- Direct customer contact will become more important than relying on middlemen.
- Industries will fragment, each vying to communicate the unique value of their product.
The Square and more Jupiter in Aries
Another story caught my ear as a foreshadow to Jupiter in Aries. This story featured the “Square”, which allows micro-businesses to accept credit card transactions through a mobile phone. On the spot credit card payments allow small business owners to forego the usual expenses of billing and collecting, allows the customer to pay immediately, and the fee for the service is less than most common credit card processing charges. The two men featured in the story were construction workers who had lost their jobs and were running a lawn maintenance business.
What are the marks of Jupiter in Aries in this story?
- Micro-businesses and small businesses will increase in number as large conglomerates begin to break into smaller companies and people continue to build businesses in lieu of employment. (This is also a feature of the coming Uranus in Aries transit.)
- As the number of micro and small businesses increases, there will be an increased demand for products and services to help them run their businesses.
- On the spot, cut to the chase transactions will become common as the desire to do more, quickly, emerges as a response to the continued weakness in the economy.
- Back offices will become dismantled as devices become available which allow overhead to be reduced.
Aries, the “first” sign
These two simple stories tell so much. Aries is a fundamentally aggressive mind-set, whether in the form of the lone-wolf entrepreneur or the established global company. It brings a desire to take on the competition, expand into new territory, and develop new markets. Aries is challenged and excited by a little risk, and the Jupiter in us loves an adventure. These two together bring to mind “frontier leadership,” a term I use to describe the spirit of bold expedition into unknown lines of business. And these two don’t mind “ramming” things through either; they’re certain a good bump in the right direction is just what someone may need to see the light.
Competition will feature strongly over the next five months, and this competition could be directed against others or against the limits you’ve reached in the past. There’s a lack of restraint to Jupiter in Aries, some may say a foolishness, which endeavors against all odds to win. There is a feeling of wanting it all and wanting no one to stand in the way. And this independent spirit has led to amazing inventions and innovations in the past: Jupiter in Aries witnessed the first electrical telegram, the first diplomatic agreement between China and the U.S., the First Baptist Church, and the first solo, non-stop, transatlantic flight. In these examples you can see Jupiter acting through the sign of new beginnings.
In fact “first” is a good word to contemplate. Aries is the first sign of the zodiac and Jupiter’s ingress on Saturday marks the beginning of a new twelve year Jupiter cycle. Jupiter likes to think big! Can you think about the next twelve years and being “first” in some aspect of your industry? Over the next five months, as Jupiter wanders through Aries, it’s time to take a new plunge. Can you look at the bulleted points above and find something that resonates for your business?
Have you seen my new blog? Discussing all things astrological, for anyone interested in real-life astrology, check out Ellen Longo’s Astrology Blog.
Do you have a question for Ellen? See the “Work with Ellen” tab at the top of this site for my Straight to the Point Response service.
For an overview of the month, see the Astro4Business Month Ahead – January 2011
For more info on the business descriptions of the planets mentioned this week, see
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.