Tonight Saturn begins a 4 ½ month period of retrograde motion. This period of retrograde motion occurs every year as it is a product of the angle between the Sun, the earth, and the retrograde planet. Whenever the Sun approaches the opposite sign as the planet, the planet appears to move backwards against the backdrop of the stars. Fully 1/3 of the year is spent with Saturn in retrograde motion.
The Face of Saturn
Saturn represents the intensity of one’s ambition, the inner pressure to become or accomplish something. Saturn also indicates the Achilles heel, the mind-set in which doubt and fear or an overly conservative attitude works against success. When Saturn is strong in a businessperson’s chart, they run a tight ship with an authoritarian management style and excellent administrative abilities.
In business, Saturn describes systems and procedures, controls and policies. It can also indicate outside rules and regulations such as tax and housing codes and the general level of difficulty the business will experience with outside authorities. It rules audits and reporting, bureaucracy and bylaws. It also shows the area where good hard work and persistence will pay off and where inner and outer limitations can spark real growth and accomplishment.
When Saturn is retrograde we have the opportunity to examine whether our standard modes of operation truly spring from our own values, or have been imposed upon us by authority figures or societal norms. It’s a time when our regular structures of support and stability may be withdrawn and we have to rely upon our own creativity and self-discipline to achieve our goals.
Saturn becomes less direct and overt when in retrograde motion which can relieve stress and struggle. Yet as business managers we may see that our authority becomes undermined as others break free from outer rules and regulations too.
10 Tips for 4 ½ Months
Here are 10 tips to get the most out of Saturn retrograde:
- If you run into difficulties with authority figures, examine your actions from another point of view. Have you given your power over to another authority? Are you blaming something or someone external when you need to bring a more mature attitude to the situation?
- This is a great time to examine historical practices to see if they still add value. Undertake a study of some aspect of your processes and procedures to bring new efficiency to a stale operation.
- Your normal sense of lock-in weakens during Saturn retrograde. Often we are so habituated to the way we think about a problem that potential solutions are not even considered. Explore options you would normally consider too risky.
- Saturn retrograde is a great time to undertake a major restructuring effort. Resistance to change is lowered during this time.
- You may be thwarted in your role as an authority figure in your business during Saturn retrograde. If so, share authority, be willing to listen, and promote those who act with good judgment and teamwork. Expose others to the reality of your business situation and demand that they step up into more responsibility.
- Play with improvisation. You might even bring in an expert to lead your management team through an improvisation workshop to practice creativity, collaboration and innovation. Be willing to entertain “business as not-usual.”
- With Saturn in the back seat, your timing may falter if you adhere to too rigid schedules. Provide room in your meetings and to-do lists for the unexpected.
- List your major responsibilities, both in your business and in your personal life, and examine if they are in balance. This is a great time to bring a sense of proportion back to your activities.
- Your normal support staff or mentors may falter. You may need to support others more or rely upon your own creativity and self-discipline to get the job done. This is a great opportunity to develop support for your supporters.
10. If there is a shift in a business alliance, ask yourself, “How can I exploit this change as an opportunity for my organization?” More profitable alliances are most likely waiting in the wings.
And a Reminder
Remember, Saturn rules common sense and this quality may be lacking while Saturn is retrograde. Be more vigilant than usual as you weigh your options and potential projects. Your practical wisdom is there; you just need to take more time to access it. Have fun, but no off-the-cuff decisions, please!
To explore more about Saturn and its current passage through Libra, see these posts:
To read more about retrograde motion, see these links:
Have you seen my new blog? Discussing all things astrological, for anyone interested in real-life astrology, check out Ellen Longo’s Astrology Blog.
Do you have a question for Ellen? See the “Work with Ellen” tab at the top of this site for my Straight to the Point Response service.
For an overview of the month, see the Astro4Business Month Ahead – January 2011
For more info on the business descriptions of the planets mentioned, see
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.